QUICK thinking and community spirit has saved a Gunnedah house from being destroyed on fire on Friday afternoon.
Gunnedah Fire and Rescue has praised the efforts of several residents of Jaeger Avenue after they used garden hoses to help battle a back yard fire.
Fire and Rescue 314, Captain, Dave Welch said it was believed the fire was sparked in a back yard fridge at the rear of the house.
“Emergency services were first called to the property just after 4pm on Friday,” Captain Welch said.
“It appears that the fire started at an outside fridge, causing some damage to the back patio area.
“The contents of the fridge were also destroyed.”
Captain Welch said the actions of the quick thinking neighbours helped save the house.
“It was a really terrific community effort,” he said.
“The quick thinking of the neighbours definitely saved the house from major damage.
“I want to commend them for their quick thinking and for calling us.
“It’s great to see neighbours looking out for each other like that.”