FIREFIGHTERS have been kept on their toes across the weekend responding to several call outs in Gunnedah.
Among the incidents was a house fire on Little Conadilly Street which is believed to have been caused by a faulty electrical appliance.
Gunnedah Fire and Rescue Captain, Dave Welch told The Namoi Valley Independent little damaged was caused in the weekend’s call outs.
“Luckily the three or four jobs we were called out to were nothing too major,” Captain Welch said.
“Saturday’s call out to the suspected house on Little Conadilly Street did see the house sustain some smoke damage and that incident appears to be an electrical appliance fault.”
Captain Welch said crews ensured once the fire was out it was safe for the residents to re-enter the house.
“By the time we got there the residents had extinguished the fire,” he said.
“For us, our main tasks were to ensure there were no hot spots remaining and to clear any toxic smoke from the house.
“In terms of finding the fire’s cause, that will be up to the insurance company.”
On Sunday, crews were tasked to an unmanned backyard fire which was also quickly dealt with.
“What was particularly concerning about the backyard fire was how close a number of pleather lounges were placed to the fire,” Captain Welch said.
“We want to remind people to never place anything near a fire, especially pleather lounges due to the risk they cause of the fire spreading.”
Among the busy weekend of call outs, the Gunnedah Fire and Rescue team welcomed a new member to their ranks.
“On Sunday Jeremy Gallagher officially joined us after transferring from Uralla,” Captain Welch said.
“He will join us for his first drill run on Monday and he brings about 10-years of experience in Fire and Rescue with him.
“We are really pleased to have Jeremy join us.”