The year 1879 was a turning point in the future of the fledgling town of Gunnedah, known in the early days as The Woolshed.
The arrival of the Sisters of Mercy on January 3, 1879, opened the doors to Catholic education, high school and business studies, while the establishment of the new court house building serviced the law and order needs of the growing community.
It was the arrival of the first steam train, however, that opened the gates to rapid growth in the north west and brought the north west into touch with the Hunter Valley and the coastline.
Gunnedah and District Historical will be involved in the celebrations to commemorate this historic occasion and the whole community is invited to take part - just as it did back in 1879.
On September 11, this year, it will be 140 years since the whole town turned out to see the long awaited "iron horse" puff its way into the now historic railway station.
NSW TrainLink Gunnedah will celebrate the anniversary on Saturday, September 14, from 9am to 2pm, with a heritage train, cutting of a cake, and attendees from the Gunnedah Shire Council and the local award-winning brass band.
A call has gone out for former employees or their descendants to attend the ceremony, which promises to be a historic occasion for the Gunnedah community.
Anyone who would like to be part of this significant occasion at the station is asked to contact Karen Neader at the Gunnedah Railway Station on 6740 2060.
Further information is available from Gunnedah and District Historical Society at email@example.com