As Gunnedah Memorial Pool undergoes a major upgrade, the Namoi Valley Independent is looking back to yesteryear.
According to Gunnedah and District Historical Society, the complex was borne of a long community battle in the 1950s that resulted in eventual success.
At a public meeting in 1944, Wolseley Park was unanimously selected for a public swimming pool and war memorial.
A local committee raised almost 1000 pounds throughout the war years but the project lost momentum in the post-war period because of rising costs and shortages of materials.
A site on Anzac Hill was chosen, with 3000 cubic yards of rock excavated from the site. Community fundraising and support from local businesses saw the 50-metre pool constructed over three years.
The pool was used for the first time in November 27, 1955 when 500 people converged on the site to attend the Gunnedah Swimming Club carnival. The 25-metre heated pool was constructed and opened in 1972.
The current upgrade is being carried out by Hines Constructions, with a new 50-metre outdoor pool, wet play area for kids and a new pavilion to be constructed.
As the project progresses, Gunnedah Shire Council seeking past photos of the complex. There’s even a prize up for grabs – a family pass to The Civic.
Email photos with captions and contact details to email@example.com by November 30.