BLOOD for poisoned pooches and kitties is in short supply as a result of the ongoing mice plague.
Gunnedah Veterinary Hospital alone has completed more than 90 blood transfusions on pets who have consumed mouse baits or baited mice.
As a result, blood is needed to help save the lives of other beloved animals who may eat the wrong thing at home.
Vet David Amos said some owners very kindly offered their pets up to donate blood, and time-to-time they might put a call-out for blood donations.
Now was that time.
"If people would like to volunteer their dogs, preferably bigger dogs, because can't take a lot of blood out of a small dog," Mr Amos told the NVI.
"We need dogs who are about 25-30kg or a bit more."
Without donor dogs, the pets of the vet hospital's staff are typically the go-to.
"All the staff's dogs get a bled a bit more than they would ideally," he said.
"We certainly don't have an excess. That's where usually our own dogs get called in again sooner than other times."
Mr Amos said not all animals with rodenticide poisoning needed a transfusion, but the "massive" plague was still dangerous for pets.
"It's a pretty good assessment of the mice plague by the amount of animals that are poisoned. You can tell how many people are having mouse problems by the poisonings we see," Mr Amos said.
They've even started an emergency service for families who need to urgently bring in a baited pet.
Locals can contact their local vet to inquire about donating their pet's blood.
Here are some symptoms to look out for if you suspect your furry friend has been baited:
- Lethargy and weakness
- Hemorrhages in gums
- Passing blood
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: