COMMERCIAL mouse baits that contain zinc phosphide can put children and anyone who is exposed to it at 'serious risk', health officials warn.
It comes as mice plague the Tamworth and New England North West region due to the wet weather.
Hunter New England Health has issued a warning for residents who have used the mouse bait in their home to contact the NSW Environment Protection Authority's 24-hour phone line.
"Poisoning can occur by inhaling fumes given off by the mouse bait, or by swallowing the product," the statement reads.
"People should ensure they, their children and pets do not touch any product that has been spread around the home.
"The phosphine gas released from mouse baits containing zinc phosphide can cause poisoning or suffocation in enclosed or poorly ventilated spaces."
Symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, fever, cough, shortness of breath and chest tightness.
Earlier this month, Hunter New England Health issued a warning for leptospirosis, a flu-like disease spread from animals to humans.
Anyone suffering from symptoms should call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: