The Liverpool Plains Shire Council (LPSC) has released its latest statement regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
LPSC is sharing the Prime Minister's message that if Australians "want to curb the spread, everyone must implement appropriate social distancing in accordance with state and territory laws".
In response to the state and federal government's latest initiative the council has introduced new measures.
Numerous facilities will be closed:
- Plains Fitness
- All aquatic facilities
- Sportsgrounds and showgrounds across the shire
- Visitor Information Centre
- Quirindi Library
- Royal Theatre
Scheduled council events, including Youth Week activities, have also been cancelled.
Those staff affected by these closures are being redeployed to other roles including additional assistance for the Commonwealth Health Support Service Program and volunteer organisations that support those most vulnerable in the community.
Changes to operating hours and arrangements are as follows:
- Werris Creek Library will be operating in a limited capacity focusing on remote support activities.
- Concierge will be provided at the LPSC administration centre to assist in the management of customer enquiries.
- Vulnerable members within our community are encouraged to phone in to the council on (02) 6746 1755 to discuss their needs. Council is facilitating a register of vulnerable persons and will be working with other agencies to support the most at risk in its community as well as providing support to other community organisations.
- Council is ensuring its staff are well supported within a safe working environment and considering each individual's specific needs.
- Council will ensure that the business community is well supported during response efforts.
Regular updates will be posted on the council's website and social media pages to inform the community on further potential changes to its operations.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we aim to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.