Nominations are now open for Gunnedah's Australia Day Awards.
Gunnedah shire mayor Jamie Chaffey said it was a good chance to recognise locals who contribute to the community.
"This is an opportunity to say thank you to some of the people who help make Gunnedah shire a great place to live," Cr Chaffey said.
"We all know someone who has made a difference, whether it is through helping out the people next door, or putting hundreds of hours into charity work.
"They could be business people or volunteers, sportspeople or retired people who are enriching the community.
"We need as many people as possible to nominate citizens so we can recognise the contribution these people have made."
Australia Day Awards categories
- The Citizen of the Year Award (21 and over)
- The Young Citizen of the Year Award (20 and under)
- The Ossie & Beryl Campbell Memorial Volunteer of the Year Award
- The Eve Turner Perpetual Trophy (for a retired person who has continued to dedicate their time and efforts to impart their knowledge and skills to others in the community, and to assist people to attain higher goals in life).
- The Community Organisation and/or Event Achievement Award
- The Max & Mikie Maas Good Neighbour Award
- The Sportsperson of the Year Award (21 and over)
- The Junior Sportsperson of the Year Award (20 and under)
- The Junior Sports Team of the Year Award (20 and under)
- The Sports Team of the Year Award
- The Ivan Towns Memorial Award (in recognition of the work done by a coach).
Nominations close at 5pm on Friday, January 10, 2020.
To nominate, visit www.gunnedah.nsw.gov.au or pick up a paper copy from Gunnedah Shire Library in Conadilly Street, The Civic Centre on Chandos Street, or the council building on Elgin Street.
The awards ceremony will be held on Saturday, January 25 at Gunnedah Town Hall.
- For assistance, contact Jacinta Cipolla at Gunnedah Shire Council on 6740 2100.