GUNNEDAH Fire and Rescue have been kept busy on Easter Sunday responding to two separate incidents throughout the day.
Crews were first called to an electrical fire, which had broken out in the kitchen of an Abbott Street home at 7am.
Upon arriving, crews found the fire had been caused by a rechargeable torch, which had caused damage to the home's kitchen cabinets.
Gunnedah Fire and Rescue captain David Welch told the Namoi Valley Independent the house was spared from further damage thanks to the quick thinking of the resident.
"The homeowner acted quickly, wrapped the rechargeable torch in a blanket and took it outside," Captain Welch said.
"It was a really smart thing to do as it prevented any chance of the fire causing more damage to the kitchen or house.
"In the end it was very lucky because it could have been far worse."
The kitchen fire was only the first of two major call outs for the service on Sunday, as crews were redeployed to a Little Conadilly Street property after reports a ute had caught fire.
"We were first called to the scene at 2.34pm and from there our crew was able to extinguish the fire pretty quickly," Captain Welch said.
"Police were already on scene when we arrived and from what we understand the fire may have been caused by the sparks of an angle grinder.
"Again, this was a lucky outcome for the resident as it could have been far worse."
Captain Welch said Sunday's incidents were a timely reminder for locals to take care around the house.
"Both incidents could have had far worse outcomes so it is really important for people to take care," he said.
"In the second instance, it is really important for people to make sure they have a clear area before using cutting tools such as an angle grinder.
"Given we are in a drought and the ground is quite dry, the smallest spark could cause a fire that could move very quickly.
"In terms of Sunday morning's incidents, we encourage people to take all appropriate precautions when using electrical appliances around the house."