FIRE fighters have been able to contain a fierce blaze which erupted in a couple of hay sheds near Gunnedah on Sunday.
The combined effort of the Rural Fire Service, Fire and Rescue NSW and Gunnedah Shire Council kept the blaze from spreading from sheds which were on a property north of Gunnedah on the Kamilaroi Highway.
Liverpool Range RFS district manager Myles O'Reilly said crews remained on the scene through the afternoon.
He said there were other buildings or machines damaged in the fire.
"It was primarily the hay sheds which were the main assets damaged in the fire," Mr O'Reilly said.
"But it's interesting if you speak to people in the farming community, often they'll value hay more than then their property especially considering the conditions."
A fire investigator will look into the incident, but Mr O'Reilly said it wasn't uncommon to see "spontaneous combustion" in hay sheds.
"If it gets damp at any stage, it can self heat and once oxygen gets in there it can go up," he said.