A community campaign has been launched to help ‘Feed a Farmer’ in the lead up to Christmas.
The NSW Police Force is joining forces with Emergency Service agencies, and Minister for Police Troy Grant, as part of an annual food-drive aimed at supporting those in need as the drought drags on.
This year the traditional ‘Stuff Your Chopper’ competition has been put aside with the NSW Police Force, Rural Fire Service, Fire and Rescue NSW and State Emergency Service coming together to collect groceries and non-perishable food to help ‘Feed a Farmer’.
The agencies have joined with Foodbank NSW/ACT to spearhead the drive, which will be calling on donations across the state over the next two months.
Mr Grant said ‘Feed a Farmer’ was a wonderful example of mates helping mates across NSW, and would hopefully come as some small relief for those doing it tough during the drought.
“Our farmers are the backbone of our community, and have been battling terrible drought conditions for months now, with many choosing to feed their stock first before putting food on their own tables,” Mr Grant said.
“This drive is about getting behind them to show our support – and that’s just the Aussie way, when people are doing it tough in our community, we all pitch in to lend a helping hand.
“Remember, any donation, large or small can make a big difference,” he said.
Foodbank NSW and ACT CEO Gerry Andersen said it was great to see all of the emergency services coming together to support those in need.
“‘Feed a Farmer’ is about lending a helping hand to farmers and their families, and the donations collected will be distributed to where they are most needed,” Mr Andersen said.
Collections for ‘Feed a Farmer’ will run through until Tuesday, December 4.
The community can support the initiative by dropping any food or necessities to one of the following locations during business hours, Monday-Friday:
- Queanbeyan/Canberra – 10 Ellerton Drive, Queanbeyan
- Albury – 25 Airport Drive, Albury
- Batemans Bay – 7 Kylie Crescent, Batemans Bay
- Casino - 40 Neville Bienke Memorial Dr, Casino
- Central Coast – 105 Arizona Rd, Charmhaven
- Coffs Harbour – 1 Aviation Drive, Coffs Harbour
- Dubbo – Lot 10 Cooreena Rd, Dubbo
- Hunter Valley – 110 Mt Vincent Road, East Maitland
- Shoalhaven – 92 Albatross Rd, Nowra
- Orange – 1385 Forest Road, Orange
- Port Macquarie – 108 Cameron Street, Wauchope
- Southern Highlands – 65 Bridge St, Picton
- Tamworth – 19-23 Lockheed St, Tamworth
- Wagga Wagga – 208 Fernleigh Rd, Wagga Wagga
- Wollongong – 37 Airport Road, Albion Park Rail
- Young – Shop 3, Lovell Place, Young
- Sutherland – 126 Wilson Parade, Heathcote
- Northern Beaches – Gate 4 Thompson Drive, Terrey Hills
- Hornsby – 1049 Pacific Highway, Cowan
- Nepean – 8-12 Jeanette Street, Regentville
- Hawkesbury – Macquarie Road, Wilberforce
- Blue Mountains – Cnr Bathurst and Valley Road, Katoomba
- The Hills – 1A Angus Road, Kenthurst
- Campbelltown – Cnr Alderney Street and Townson Avenue, Minto