Paul Harris Fellow recognitions were bestowed on Rotarian Doug Brown and local resident John Perkins at the recent change-over dinner of the Rotary Club of Gunnedah West.
Rotary Clubs normally reserve Paul Harris Fellow recognitions for members who have contributed to their Rotary club and wider community, however, the prestigious recognition is extended when somebody in the community really stands out and has worked selflessly and tirelessly for the good of others.
The club took steps to recognise John Perkins who “exemplifies the ideals of Rotary and has been recognised as an innovative trail blazer in the rural community”.
For the past six decades, John Perkins has been a powerhouse in the community, devoting many years to rugby and the Gunnedah Rugby Club. Growing up in Willow Tree, he played rugby in the area and his vision contributed to the development of the rugby grounds in Quirindi. His contribution to rugby continued after he arrived in the Gunnedah district, where he served as a board member for NSW Country Rugby.
Mr Perkins has also made a significant contribution to the Catholic Church in the Armidale Diocese and local parishes, especially St Joseph’s in Gunnedah. He has served on the board of Mackellar Care for more than a decade.
Regarded as a man of vision and principle, John Perkins was the second farmer to grow cotton in the district back in 1980 and was a foundation member of one of the area’s first cotton gins.
A Rotarian for the past 19 years, and a past member of Apex, Doug Brown humbly received the Paul Harris recognition from his peers.
A past president of the club, Mr Brown has held the positions of Youth, Community and International Service, and membership and publicity officer. He has also managed the club attendance for many years and taken the reins for two terms.
A dedicated and consistent Rotarian, Doug Brown is strongly supported by his wife Ann. He has been active in the wider community and is currently serving on the Mackellar Care board.
The Paul Harris Fellow recognition acknowledges individuals who contribute, or who have contributions made in their name, of US$1000 to The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International.
It was established in 1957 to show appreciation for and encourage substantial contributions to what was then the foundation’s only program, Rotary Foundation Fellowships for Advanced Study, the precursor to ambassadorial scholarships.
The prestigious recognitions were presented by District Governor nominee Phil Hafey.