Gunnedah RSL Sub-Branch will celebrate its centenary later this year and members would like to gather as much information as possible.
Branch secretary Ruth Clarke is asking locals to contact her if they have any early history, photos or memorabilia that may have been left by family members.
Official recognition of the local branch of the Returned Soldiers’ and Sailors' Imperial League was received in September 1918, with the inaugural president Lieutenant J. K. Williams.
The patrons were S. Reid, GA Higgins, GR McDonagh, G. Storey, W. Wallace and PP Scrivener. The vice-presidents elected were V. Dewhurst and JC Williamson, with CA Kentwell elected secretary and G. Grimson the treasurer. The committee members included A. McGilvray, H. Jarmain, R. Ashdown, MM; AC Coleman and J. McFadden.
It functioned for a few years, providing valuable assistance to returned Diggers and their families.
After a period of inactivity, the sub-branch lapsed but was reformed on ANZAC Day 1931, when the following officers were elected – Malcolm Mackellar and AC Abbott (patrons), SA Thornton (president), CF Pearson, Cr Wise and LA Nowland (vice-presidents), WW Weakley (secretary) and W. McLeod (treasurer).
Funds were raised for distressed Diggers and their families through a grand ball each year and three race meetings. The sub-branch’s activities have been greatly assisted over the years by the women’s auxiliary which was formed in 1933.
Mrs Clarke can be contacted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phoning 6742 0262.